Typically small, lightweight, and wheeled, portable generators are a practical solution for operations that involve multiple locations or require the movement of equipment in and around different areas of a single location. While these units have long served as tools in a wide range of industrial, commercial, and residential applications, the demand for them has grown significantly over the past year.
Factors Contributing to the Portable Generator Demand Spike
Portable generators are essential for situations where there is no reliable permanent power source available, such as remote job sites or disaster-stricken areas. While they are regularly used for normal operations in the former situation (e.g., agricultural or construction sites), they are generally only used for emergencies in the latter situation (e.g., extreme weather or other catastrophic event response).
The recent spike in demand for portable generators is likely attributed to two primary factors, both of which have led to an increase in emergency response efforts:
- Natural Disasters: The 2020 Atlantic hurricane season was the most active on record, with a record-breaking 29 storms. The increased storm rate has led to a significant rise in the demand for portable generators as more and more people take precautions to avoid losing power in vulnerable areas.
- COVID-19: The spread of COVID-19 has led to a substantial rise in hospitalizations. However, many hospitals do not have the resources to handle the patient surge. In response, temporary field hospitals have been set up to manage the overflow. Since these sites are generally not constructed in areas designed for healthcare operations, they often require the use of portable equipment, such as generators, to facilitate patient treatment.
Advantages of Portable Generators
Compared to non-portable generators, portable generators offer a number of advantages, such as:
- Greater convenience. Portable generators allow for power on the go. This ability enables workers to power their equipment and tools wherever they’re needed.
- Lower noise generation. Portable equipment often generates less noise than non-portable variations since it produces and provides less power, which results in a lower risk of auditory injury in workers and passersby.
- Smaller footprint. Portable generators come in a wide range of shapes and sizes, many of which have a compact and lightweight design. These characteristics result in a smaller footprint, which saves on space requirements during use and storage.
- Broader versatility. There are many variations of portable generators available. This wide selection makes it easier for industry professionals to choose one that suits their needs, whether they require small power capacities for small-scale operations or big power capacities for heavy-duty operations.
Portable Generators for Sale at Compressed Air Systems, Inc.
Portable generators play an essential role in many normal and emergency operations. Air compressors are a type of power generator used to power air-powered tools and equipment. For portable air compressors you can trust, turn to the experts at Compressed Air Systems. Whether you’re looking for a new or used portable air compressor, we have the expertise to help you find the right unit for your needs.
To learn more about our air compressor product and service offerings, contact us today.